Criminal injuries compensation

If you have suffered physical injuries or mental trauma, loss of income, travel expenses associated with recovery from the crime and other similar expenses, you may be able to make a claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation. These applications are made to the Assessor of Criminal Injuries Compensation.

While the Assessor seeks to recover any compensation that you may be awarded from the offender, any award made by the Assessor is paid to you from State funds. The Assessor then seeks recovery from the offender after you have received your compensation.

You will need to complete an application form, provide documentation that supports your claim and in some circumstances you may have to attend a hearing, similar to giving evidence at court.

The ODPP cannot assist you with this application because it is not part of the prosecution process.

The Victim Support Service can assist you with further information.

Last updated: 23-Jan-2013

[ back to top ]